The 7 Questions You Need to Ask
Log cabin home builders – There are 7 questions that you need to ask BEFORE your hire a builder for your new home.
Building a new log home is a major undertaking, and in order to make it as smooth as possible, you need to choose the right builder, a match for you.
Log cabin builders all have different styles and personalities. Before you even consider hiring a builder, you need to ask yourself, “Can I work with this person?”
If the answer is “yes”, then you can move on to the next step, which is asking for several professional references.
And you need to follow through on this step.
The Low Down on Log Cabin Home Builders
You’ve met several builders. They all seem pretty nice—easy to talk to. What do you do next?
To decide which builder would work best for you, you need to get more information. From other people. I like to ask for one business reference and two references from homeowners who have used each builder.
When you call each builder’s homeowner references, you should ask the following 7 questions:
- Did you feel that the builder was honest and ethical? – This is one of the most important questions that I like to ask. Your life will be a nightmare, if you are not dealing with an honest builder.
- How was the builder’s communication? – Did he get back to you right away? Most log cabin home builders carry cell phones, and they are very responsive to their customers. If you have a question, you will want to have it answered in a timely manner. If you can’t reach the builder directly, you should have a way to leave a message.
- Did the builder finish the home on time? – Your builder will give you a time line. While it’s not always possible to finish a home right on time, it should be close. Or there should be a very good reason why it didn’t get done on time.
- Did the builder stay within the budget? – When you sign the initial contract, you will agree to a price. If you make major changes, the numbers will change (and this is to be expected). However, an organized and business-like builder should be able to stay within an estimated budget, so that you don’t have to worry about additional expenses, barring any major changes to your home plans.
- Did the builder’s crew keep the job site clean? – A clean job site makes it easier and faster to work, and an uncluttered work space eliminates much of the danger of slips and falls. Quality log cabin home builders sweep the work area, haul away the trash and stack materials neatly at the end of the day.
- Did the builder do what he said he’d do? – How good is his word and his follow-through. Promises are only good, when they are kept.
- What happened after the house was built and you moved in? – In every new home, there will be an adjustment or two after you move into the house and live in it for awhile. Your builder should be there to assist you with warranty issues and answer questions. You need to have a reasonable amount of attention, if needed, after your home is built.
New England Custom Homes Builders
If you live in New England and are ready to start interviewing log cabin home builders, why not start with these Crockett builder-dealers? They were each chosen for their builder reputations, their integrity, and for their customer satisfaction.
- Log Cabin Builders – These are New England builders who are experienced builders and craftsmen who can build log homes.
- Timber Frame House Builders – These log cabin home builders are craftsmen who know the ins and outs of timber frame building, a specialized building craft.
- SIPs Builders – Structural insulated panels are a way to build green homes with materials that are safe for sensitive people. SIPs are used in traditional looking homes, in timber frame homes and in post and beam homes. You can even use energy efficient SIPs in a home with log siding—most people can’t tell the difference between this and a true log home. Find builders here…
- Crockett Timber Homes – A company with experience and a good reputation for delivering quality products and excellent customer service.
Choosing between log cabin home builders for your new home, is one of the most important decisions that you will make.
Make sure you ask for references and don’t forget to ask the references–the most important 7 questions about log cabin home builders…